Interesting Facts About Madagascar
Posted by khethiwe qotyana on 16 April 2018 1:05 PM SAST
- Republic of Madagascar is the fourth largest island in the world, approximately (587,000 2 km). The only larger islands are Borneo, Greenland and New Guinea.
- Almost all of the plant and animal species found on the Madagascar Island are unique to this island.
- Madagascar has two seasons, a dry cooler season which starts in May and last until October and a hot rainy season which starts in November and last until April.
- The capital of this island is Antananarivo. This city is also the Madagascar’s most populated city.
- The population of Madagascar : 21,290,000.
- Madagascar is one of the poorest countries in Africa. The people in this territory face many problems including poor health care, a poor educational system, economic problems and malnutrition.
- Most of the population or better to say 52% maintain their indigenous religious beliefs, other 41% are Christian and 7% are Islam.
- Madagascar has two official languages, first is French and second Malagasy.
- Madagascar Island was under French rule from 1895-1957.
- This island has lost more than 80% of its original forest land since humans arrived on this place about two thousand years ago.